Burma

Fifteen More Killed as Myanmar Regime Continues Bloodbath

By The Irrawaddy 30 March 2021

Myanmar saw at least 15 more people die at the hands of the military’s junta’s forces during random shootings and attacks on anti-regime protests in the country Monday night and Tuesday.

However, that number is expected to rise because several people were reported to have been seriously wounded by security forces gunfire. Some of those wounded have been detained.

As of Tuesday, the protest-related death toll has reached 475.

On Tuesday, Yangon’s South Dagon Township was the scene of at least four deaths due to random shooting and brutal assaults on residents. The deadly crackdown on anti-regime protesters began Monday morning and continued to after midnight. In addition to those killed, several people were injured.

The area has been under martial law since the middle of the month, and it has been a flashpoint for fatal confrontations between the protesters and security forces for days.

Since the imposition of martial law, Internet access has been cut off in the township and people there are facing difficulties simply going or coming because military troops are deployed everywhere in the township.

Anti-regime protesters told The Irrawaddy that security forces also used hand grenades and some explosive ammunition in a crackdown on roadblocks and protests on Monday.

A nurse who is providing medical cover for the injured people in the township told The Irrawaddy that a resident was beaten to death with rifle butts by security forces after the man refused to help remove roadblocks erected by the anti-regime protesters in the 71 Ward in South Dagon Township on Tuesday.

In addition, two residents were reportedly shot dead by security forces during the removal of roadblocks at 107 Ward of the township on Tuesday. Earlier that day, residents found a burnt body which is believed to have been set on fire with the roadblocks in the township.

Five other protesters have also been shot dead by the military junta’s forces during crackdowns in Kachin State capital Myitkyina, Northern Shan State’s Muse and Tanintharyi Region’s Kawthaung.

A 17-year-old boy named Kyaw Min Htet, who was shot and dragged by soldiers and police on March 27 in Thanithryi Region’s capital Dawei, was also pronounced dead on Tuesday.

Closed-Circuit TV footage shows the boy being dragged away after he and two friends riding a motorbike were targeted by gunfire from police and soldiers in two vehicles.

The military, however, contends that the boy died due to a severe brain injury due to a fall from the motorbike.

On Monday, two civilians including a 15 year-old boy named Yarzar Htwe were also shot dead by the security forces at Ayeyarwady Region’s capital Pathein.

Meanwhile, Ko Wai Lin Oo, 22 , Ko Zaw Hein Htun, 32, and one other man were fatally shot by security forces during an assault on anti-region protests in Mandalay Region’s Myingyan Township on Monday.

During the shooting, a man named Ko Soe Lwin, who is over 30 years old, was seriously wounded in the arm and has been detained. Two people who tried to rescue him were also arrested by security forces, a local resident of Myingyan Township told The Irrawaddy.

Amid the deadly crackdowns by the military junta’s forces, tens of thousands of people across the country have taken to the street daily to show their defiance of the military regime.

 

You may also like these stories:

Thai Authorities Turn Back Villagers Fleeing Myanmar Regime’s Airstrikes

Remembering Myanmar’s Fallen Heroes

Myanmar’s Escalating Conflict Threatens ASEAN Stability

Loading