The Irrawaddy is seeking to hire one experienced copy editor who can work for The Irrawaddy’s English edition as soon as possible.
Candidates will be able to express ideas and shape stories concisely for an online readership. They must be English native speakers. They will possess an eye for accuracy, be familiar with working to same-day deadlines, and know how to leverage social media to enhance the reporting process. They will be able to work closely with Burmese and non-Burmese reporters to help develop stories. The ideal candidate will also have a high level of awareness of Myanmar’s politics, economy and culture.
- All articles assigned by the Editor or News Editor or any supervisor delegated by them.
- Any edit work assigned by the supervisor or Editor-in-Chief as and when necessary or urgent.
The Irrawaddy prefers applicants to be based in Yangon or to be able to work efficiently from other locations. At least three years of proven experience in editing news and feature stories in English is required. Candidates will:
- Have at least 3 years of proven experience copyediting news and feature stories in English.
- Possess strong language skills and be able to express ideas clearly in written English.
- Have an eye for accuracy and a feeling for the flow of both short and long articles.
- Have experience working to same-day deadlines.
- Have a high level of awareness of Myanmar’s politics, economy and culture.
- Be able to work closely with Burmese and non-Burmese reporters to help develop stories.
Applicants should clearly specify the platforms in which they have experience, and include their social media links and/or work samples that reflect that experience. Applications should include the candidate’s Facebook, Twitter, Viber, Instagram and/or other social media links/IDs.
An attractive package will be offered to the successful applicant if based in our Yangon office.
Cover letters and CVs (not more than three pages) must be prepared in English. Applicants should send a CV with a brief cover letter, previous editing samples/links, and an email address and phone number to The Irrawaddy Application: [email protected]
This position will remain open until the right candidate is found.