Latest News

NKorean Hijackers Release Chinese Fishermen

21 May 2012

The Chinese embassy in North Korea says Chinese fishermen detained there after their boats were hijacked have been released. Chinese media said last week that a North Korean boat hijacked three boats with 29 Chinese fishermen on board on May 8. The media did not say who the captors were but said they demanded US $190,000 for the fishermen’s release. A statement on the Chinese embassy website Sunday did not mention if a payment was made. It was unclear if a territorial dispute or piracy was behind the incident involving boats from the two communist-led nations.—AP

Loading