Latest News

Bid to Liquidate Myanmar Times Fails

8 January 2014

A court in Rangoon on Tuesday dismissed an application to liquidate The Myanmar Times made by the majority shareholder of the newspaper’s publisher, Myanmar Consolidated Media (MCM). According to a report by Mizzima, Dr Tin Tun Oo, the 51 percent shareholder in MCM, filed the application last August because of a dispute with managing director Ross Dunkley, an Australian who represents the owners of the remaining 49 percent of the company. On Dec. 31, the Pyi Myanmar daily newspaper, owned by Dr Tin Tun Oo, carried a public notice demanding that MCM cease printing all its titles on Jan. 1. However, in a public notice published in the English edition of the Myanmar Times on Jan. 6, MCM reassured readers that “business continues as usual.”

Loading