Burma Army Forces Hundreds of Rohingya Villagers from Homes

By Reuters 25 October 2016

RANGOON — Hundreds of Rohingya villagers are facing a second night hiding in rice fields without shelter, after the army on Sunday forcibly removed them from a village in a crackdown following attacks on border security forces.

Four Rohingya sources contacted by Reuters by telephone, said border guard officers went to Kyee Kan Pyin village on Sunday and ordered about 2,000 villagers to abandon it, giving them just enough time to collect basic household items.

The move marks an escalation in violence which has destabilized Burma’s most volatile state located in the remote northwest. In Arakan State, also known as Rakhine, relations between the Rohingya and majority Buddhists have hit their lowest point since hundreds of people were killed and thousands displaced in ethnic and religious violence in 2012.

The government, led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, has said the army and police in Arakan are fighting a group of at least 400 insurgents, drawn from the Rohingya Muslim minority, with links to Islamist militants overseas.

While officials say the army has been conducting carefully targeted sweeps against the group behind attacks on police border posts on Oct. 9, residents have accused security forces of killing non-combatants and burning homes.

“I was kicked out from my house yesterday afternoon, now I live in a paddy field outside of my village with some 200 people including my family—I became homeless,” said a Rohingya man from Kyee Kan Pyin village contacted by Reuters by telephone.

“After the soldiers arrived at our village, they said that if all of us didn’t leave, they would shoot us,” he said.

Another witness and two Rohingya community elders based in Maungdaw who are collecting information from across the area have corroborated the account, estimating a total of about 2,000 villagers were removed from homes.

Some were able to find shelter in neighboring villages, but hundreds spent last night hiding in the rice fields. They are still stranded and are facing another night without shelter.

U Mynt Kyaw, a government spokesman, said the government was unable to contact anyone in the area because it was a militarily-operated “red zone.”

“A Muslim man called me this morning as they were being forcibly removed from their homes, but I was not able to confirm that information,” said U Mynt Kyaw.

The military did not respond to a request for comment.

Videos uploaded on social media by Rohingya rights activists showed men and women speaking Rohingya language carrying their belongings and livestock to other villages or waiting out the crackdown in paddy fields.

Areas of Maungdaw Township, near the border with Bangladesh, are under military lockdown and journalists and aid workers have been barred from visiting them.