Hotel development considered ‘one of the greatest threats’ to the stupas, pagodas and temples within the Bagan property zone.
On this day in 1964, Britain handed to Gen. Ne Win more than 100 royal items that had been looted from the Mandalay Palace by British colonizers some 80 years earlier.
One of the oldest structures in Yangon, the Norman Kyaung Kyi Htaik has been a place of learning—first for Christian missionaries and later for Buddhist monks—since 1852.
Yangon’s Government Press Building played a key role in the official life of British Burma, and has continued printing documents for Myanmar’s governments ever since.
Burmah Oil Company’s headquarters in Yangon enabled the British firm to generate huge profits while its employees lived in squalor on tiny wages.
On this day in 1981, Myanmar dictator General Ne Win, once trained by Japanese military and intelligence operatives, left for his fourth and final visit to Japan.
On April 6, 1942, Chinese general Chiang Kai-shek met Allied generals Joseph Stilwelland Harold Alexander in Pyin Oo Lwin to discuss how to repel the Japanese from Burma.
On this day in 1989, the then-military government changed the names of 165 streets in Yangon, dropping their English colonial names in favor of Burmese language replacements.
On this day in 1986, Thai Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn made her first visit to Myanmar at the invitation of dictator General Ne Win.
The Irrawaddy Flotilla Company dominated river trade during the colonial period from its headquarters on Strand Road, which is the Myanma Port Authority building today.