UN Welcomes Govt Inquiry Findings on Sittwe Riots
10 April 2014
The UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Burma Renatta Dessallien has welcomed the findings of a government investigation into the Sittwe riots from March 26-27, which targeted UN and international aid group offices. In a statement, Dessallien said she was pleased with the government’s “recognition that the incident which sparked the attacks was purely unintentional” and the finding that a slow response by local authorities had failed to prevent the violence. On Wednesday, a government inquiry said the authorities’ response had been “sluggish” after Buddhist mobs went on a rampage because a foreign aid worker removed a Buddhist flag from an office building.