Hundreds Hospitalized in Food Poisoning Outbreak
23 April 2014
Around 270 people were hospitalized on Monday after eating a milk-based soup at a Buddhist ordination ceremony in Thegon, Pegu Division, reports DVB. “The children ate first and some of them immediately fell ill. Then the adults who were eating began experiencing the symptoms of food poisoning,” said a local resident who attended the ceremony. He added that the novices who were being ordained were not affected because they declined to eat when they saw the effects on the laypersons at the gathering. Those with serious conditions were transported to Thegon Public Hospital while 70 others with mild symptoms were treated at a local medical clinic in nearby Inbinhla.