No Security Present When Myanmar Military Raided Daw Aung San Suu Kyi’s House

By The Irrawaddy 14 July 2021

When Myanmar’s military raided Daw Aung San Suu Kyi’s residence in Naypyitaw in the early morning of Feb. 1 ahead of its coup, there were no security guards present, according to the major who led the raid.

On Monday, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi appeared at a special court in Naypyitaw’s Zabuthiri Township. She is on trial for multiple charges including the illegal possession of walkie-talkies, breaching COVID-19 restrictions, corruption, incitement and one case under the Official Secrets Act.

Major Win Htut Oo, who led the raid on Daw Aung San Suu Kyi’s residence, testified on Monday at the trial that the military found walkie-talkies on the premises, but that they did not have a search warrant when they searched the detained State Counselor’s house and compound and that no security personnel were present.

“When they entered Daw Aung San Suu Kyi’s house at 4am [on Feb. 1], there was no one at the gate or in the officers’ quarters. It is unusual that there was no one there and that only walkie-talkies were found. Staff had to be there. You know what this means. That’s why we say the case has been solved. And they didn’t have a search warrant,” said a lawyer acting for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

The major also testified that they did not find any evidence, such as receipts, to prove that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi or her staff had bought the walkie-talkies. She was only told a few hours later that walkie-talkies had been seized from the compound of her residence, her lawyers quoted the major as saying.

All the walkie-talkies were found in the security guards quarters and not in the house, witnesses testified at a previous court hearing. The security guards were assigned by the military-controlled Ministry of Home Affairs.

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi faces two charges under Section 8 of the Export and Import Law and Section 67 of the Telecommunications Law for illegal possession of walkie-talkies. Three prosecution witnesses testified in those cases on Monday, with one more prosecution witness still to appear.

On Tuesday, the military regime filed four new corruption charges against Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. She and detained President U Win Myint told their lawyers that they were concerned about the COVID-19 health crisis. The National League for Democracy leader also urged her lawyers to exercise patience during their cross-examinations at the trials.

You may also like these stories:

Crematoriums Overflow in Myanmar’s Biggest City as COVID Deaths Spike Amid Oxygen Shortage

Moscow Reasserts Itself in Southeast Asia

Detained NLD Legal Chief In Intensive Care with COVID-19