Muslim Man From Htan Gone Village Sentenced to 7 Years in Prison
By The Associated Press 5 September 2013
RANGOON — A court has sentenced a Muslim man to seven years in prison for an attempted rape that sparked Buddhist-led riots in a northwestern Burma town late last month.
Myint Aung, a legal official at the Kantbalu Township court, said Hsan Min Oo was found guilty and sentenced Wednesday after a speedy trial. Myint Aung said the defendant confessed to the crime and did not ask for a defense lawyer.
The Aug. 24 violence started after a crowd surrounded a police station in the village of Htan Gone, demanding that Hsan Min Oo be handed over. When officers refused, the crowd rampaged, destroying 40 Muslim-owned shops and businesses and leaving hundreds of people homeless.
Eleven Buddhists also were detained, but opposition lawmaker Myint Naing said one allegedly died in prison from diarrhea.