Mandalay Resistance Fighters Claim to Have Killed Two Myanmar Troops
By The Irrawaddy 15 December 2021
At least two junta soldiers were killed and one injured in an attack by a resistance force on Wednesday morning in Meiktila, Mandalay Region.
The attack coincided with the coup leader Min Aung Hlaing’s visit to the town to mark the 74th anniversary of the founding of the air force at a pilot training base about a 30-minute drive from the attack.
“We attacked junta forces stationed near a middle school this morning. We fired and they fired back. We killed at least two soldiers,” a resistance fighter said. “We successfully retreated without any injuries.”
Residents said they heard fighting in the morning and saw ambulances removing soldiers’ bodies.
The Irrawaddy could not independently verify any of the reports.
Ten villagers from Meiktila were arrested by junta forces on Dec. 9 after a bomb attack on a police outpost on the Yangon-Mandalay highway by Mandalay civilian defense forces, are still missing.
Forces from four townships in the region attacked the highway police and claimed to have killed three police officers and injured five others. The junta confirmed the attack and casualties.
Wundwin civilian defense force last week attacked two military-owned Mytel telecom masts and bombed the Yangon-Mandalay train line.
You may also like these stories: