28 Seek Hospital Treatment After Yangon Landfill Fire

By San Yamin Aung 27 April 2018

YANGON — A total of 28 people have been treated for smoke inhalation at the Hlaing Tharyar General Hospital after inhaling noxious smoke and fumes from the Htein Pin dumpsite fire that has been burning since Saturday.

The Ministry of Health and Sports stated that from Tuesday to Thursday, 19 people had been admitted to the hospital, while 19 had been treated as outpatients. One patient with lung problems was referred to Yangon General Hospital.

The ministry stated that out of 19 inpatients, 14 had been diagnosed with high levels of carbon monoxide.

The foul-smelling smoke from the blaze reached several townships across the city, but particularly affected nearby residents, raising public health concerns.

Over the past few days, more than 90 people who live near the site have been treated at temporary clinics for symptoms such as eye irritation and coughing, while many firemen battling the fire have also been treated for respiratory problems and minor injuries.

Hlaing Tharyar General Hospital superintendent Dr. San Lwin Oo said that on Friday, 12 people were still hospitalized related to the fire – including three children – while the others had been released.

“We have been treating patients for smoke exposure. Most of the patients are elderly people who have received treatment for other problems before,” he said.

The Yangon regional government imported 1,800 gallons of bio-foam, a fire suppression agent, from Thailand to use to cut down on the smoke. It stated on Thursday evening that more 5,000 gallons of the foam will be imported for the blaze, as it received donation money from KBZ’s Brighter Future Myanmar Foundation for this purpose.